by Luke Farnish
I sometimes refer to this as a ‘notella’ as unlike many other recipes for paella, it does not contain chicken. This is a recipe that is adaptable to a vegetarian diet if required. Equally, any hard vegetables can be used in exchange of the vegetables listed below. Please note, if you wish to include chicken or uncooked seafood in this you will need to precook these. Put half in the fridge and it should be fine for around one to two days (but no longer as you’ll be reheating something that’s been frozen).
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 2tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Large Carrot
- 1 Aubergine
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 250g Rice (any type is fine but risotto is best)
- 600ml (Around 1pint) of vegetable stock
- 60g Frozen Peas
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- Herbs (Parsley and Thyme work well)
- EITHER 250g of Precooked Seafood OR 250g Firm Vegetables (e.g. More Aubergine, Mushrooms or Peppers)
- Dice the onion and chop the garlic clove very finely.
- Peel and cut the tomatoes.
- Wash all other vegetables and cut them up into small pieces.
- Frozen ingredients (peas and frozen precooked seafood) need not thaw and can be put straight in.
- Heat the oil and add the onion and garlic in a very large pot (or possibly wok). Cook these for around five minutes.
- Add all hard vegetables (carrots, aubergine, etc.) as well as the turmeric. Cook and stir for five minutes.
- Add the rice, cook for around 1 minute, stirring vigorously.
- Pour in the stock and herbs. Leave to simmer (but not boil) for five minutes.
- Add any frozen ingredients (seafood and peas) and then simmer again for around five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until the stock is fully reduced.
- Serve and enjoy.
photo courtesy of Cel Lisboa at unsplash.com