By Alex Stapleton
This dish is quick to prepare and easy to make. It is also one of the tastiest meals that I have cooked this semester! It is also really easy to turn this into a vegetarian meal – just replace the chicken for vegetables of your choice. This recipe serves one.
COST: 2/5 (Quite cheap)
PREPARATION TIME: 15-20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes in total
WASHING UP: 3/5 (A fair amount)
– 1 chicken breast (or mixed vegetables. You could also use minced meat)
– Oil to fry (about 2 tablespoons)
– 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
– 1/2 pepper (finely chopped)
– 1 chili (if you want some spice. Finely chop this too)
– 3 mushrooms (sliced)
– 1 tablespoon of tomato puree, mixed with 4 tablespoons of water
– Salt and pepper
– 2 or 4 (depending on how hungry you are) soft flour tortilla wraps (try and get the larger ones)
– A small amount of butter
– Chopping board
– Kitchen scissors (optional)
– Frying pan
– Grill (or oven)
- Cut the chicken breast into small strips and fry it all until cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and leave it on the plate. Fry the onion in the pan until it begins to brown, then add the other vegetables. (If you are using mince instead of chicken, add this too and cook. Take off the heat after 4 minutes of cooking (and after the mince is no longer pink).
- In the mug, use the tablespoon to measure out and mix the tomato puree and water. Turn the grill on at the same time.
- Add the chicken to the vegetable mix and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the contents of the pan onto the plate and wash the frying pan.
- Butter one side of one wrap. Put this wrap butter side down in the pan and put it on the heat. Add some of the filling and put another buttered wrap (this time butter side up) on top of the filling.
- Place the pan and its contents under the grill until the butter begins to brown.
- Slide the browned quesadilla onto the plate, cut into wedges and enjoy. Repeat steps 6 and 7 if you have more wraps/filling to use.
Recipe: Joy May, Nosh for Students: A Fun Student Cookbook