By Alex Stapleton
Last week, I was really in the mood for some fast food. But I can’t afford that! What I can afford instead though, are the ingredients to make my own fast food! Healthier, cheaper and better tasting than some burgers, these are a really enjoyable treat!
COST: 3/5 (Moderate)
PREPARATION TIME: 5-10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10-15 minutes in total
WASHING UP: 3/5 (Moderate)
– 250g minced beef (If you want a vegetarian option, used Quorn instead)
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 tablespoon of oil (for frying)
– Two burger buns
– Fillings (lettuce, tomato etc.) and sauces (ketchup, mayo etc.)
– Mixing bowl
– Frying pan
– Chopping board
– Fish slice/spatula
- Put the mince into the mixing bowl and break it into small pieces.
- Divide the egg whites from the yolk and add only the yolk to the mixing bowl (the whites can go in the mug). Use your hands to mix the yolk and the mince together.
- Split the mixture in the bowl into two balls and shape them into burger patties (they want to be about 2cm thick). Cut your fillings if you are having any.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan then add the burgers.
- Cook for 5 minutes on one side, then flip it and cook the other side for 5 minutes.
- Use the knife to cut open the burgers and check that they are not pink inside. If they are still pink, flip the burger and continue to cook on a low heat until they are cooked through.
- Put the cooked burger in the bun and add your fillings.
Source: Joy May, Nosh: For Students